This pasta disappears so fast in my house it’s unbelievable. This baked ziti with pumpkin and sage sausage is so comforting this time of year, and incorporates pumpkin into a savory dish in a subtle way.
This dish is incredibly flavorful, but comes together in under an hour for a weeknight meal. The pumpkin, combined with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and sage sausage makes for one heck of a fall comfort meal.
Most stores carry sage sausage- just look for the other ground sausages and there is usually a sage variety hidden in the mix.
The recipe for this delicious pasta is below… enjoy!
- 1 pound ziti noodles, cooked to al dente
- 1 pound sage sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet (ideally cast iron) over medium high heat until the fat is rendered and the sausage is no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet (don’t clean it- you want the left over yummy bits from the sausage), add the onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sage leaves, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. The heat should remain on medium-high. Remove the bay leaf, and then add the stock and stir in the pumpkin puree. Mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the sausage and transfer to a large bowl with the pasta. Mix until combined.
- Transfer back to your cast iron skillet (or a baking dish- I used a 9x9 one) and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-35 minutes until bubbly. Enjoy!